Jeff was lucky enough to get invited to another wedding in a beautiful place. Two of his friends from Auburn decided to get married after being together for 18 years. I had never met these people, but it was a chance to see Colorado for the first time, so off we went! We got in late Wednesday afternoon and stopped in Boulder. They have a neat outdoor mall area that is a few blocks long. So we walked and went in a few art galleries that were open and then had dinner at the Mountain Sun, I think a local brewery. The section of town we were in reminded me of a college town in California, lots of hippie looking people and bikes. I had heard parts of Colorado were pretty earthy and that town certainly is.
We made it into Estes park after dark about 9:30 and found our hotel. It was right on the Fall River. It was cool to hear rushing water right outside your door. And it was rushing – they had sandbags up to protect their picnic tables. I think someone said that Colorado didn’t have much of a Spring – went straight from winter to hot temps and fast melting snow meant extra water.

Thursday we were meeting the gang at the Stanley hotel and going on a hiking trip. People were late so we didn’t actually get on the hike till closer to noon or 1. I think we had about 12 people on the hike. Several of their friends from London came over to the states a couple weeks ago. The hike was a good chance for Jeff to catch up with his friends. He knew them in Auburn and had seen them in Seattle but not since then – about 6 years ago. They were both pretty cool, wish we had gone to visit them in London when they lived there. Oh well. The hike was 2.3 miles each way. It took us 2 hours to get up the lake and the last 30 minutes about killed me. It was only and hour to hike back down. I was not sore the next day so I think it was the elevation messing with me. The hike was really pretty and we crossed over some small creeks a few times – jumping on slippery rocks was a bit unnerving, but everyone made it fine. We passed people walking little kids and I wondered how they did it. There were some thunderstorms in the area, so we didn’t hang out by the lake as long as I thought we were going to.

Thursday night was dinner in town with the gang (about 14 of us – friends not family). We made it to dinner but not the bar that they closed down that night. I think the bride and groom left when the tequila shots started. On the way back to the hotel we were driving down a back street and saw something going through the trash. At first I thought it was a dog and then got really excited it was a little black bear. We got our picture and then had to honk to get him to scatter away.

Friday Jeff and I hung around the little town of Estes Park to get some souvenirs (reminded me of Gatlinburg), had some lunch and then went into the Rocky Mtn National Park. ($20 to get in, ouch). We drove the Trail Ridge road up to the top of the snowy peaks. We stopped several times up to take photos. One was for an overlook that you had to walk in the snow for. Luckily we had hiking boots and jackets – unlike some people in shorts and flip flops. Jeff went a bit further out than me, after sinking my legs past my knees in some of the snow that was not packed, I stayed back. He got a photo of a marmot. It’s in the squirrel family but is the size of a beaver. We went all the way to the Alpine visitor center. By that point, several windy stops later and dizzying heads, got us to head back down. One stop was at 12,090 elevation, but we went further than that, so I’m not sure our highest point. The views were breathtaking and it was pretty cool to get snowed on in June. We were on our own for dinner since most people were tied up with the rehearsal dinner, but then we all joined up at the hotel bar that night. Jeff tried the Red Rum Ale (known at the Stanley) but didn’t care for it. I had the Red Rum punch and thought it was wonderful :) .

Saturday we both had a bit of a hangover. I was fine after getting food in me, but Jeff couldn’t finish his breakfast, so I knew it was bad. Haha. I wanted to see some more of the park, but neither of us were in shape to drive in high elevations again. So we just chilled out, had subway for lunch and caught a movie. The wedding started at 5 and the weather was perfect. It was held on the front patio at the Stanley. It was a nice short ceremony and then the reception was in the concert hall (separate building just across the parking lot). Neither of us drank like the night before since we had to leave by 7am Sunday to catch our flight back in Denver. Jeff got to catch up some more with his other college friend Elizabeth. Then everyone HAD to participate in the conga line (as dictated by the bride who is of Cuban decent). But Jeff and I aren’t much for dancing so that was our limit, haha. I do have to say that this was my first wedding seeing so many exposed tattoos. There were also some crazy stories with the gang of friends, from 6 nights of drinking in a row to hookups with the groomsmen and some of the UK ladies. Somehow that started AFTER the Vegas trip. I do think the bride and groom had a really fun week, we just got to participate in the latter half of it (after Vegas and rafting).

On the home front, Allison got to stay at home while Jeff’s parents spoiled her. I think they had a great time till the last day when Allison refused to nap and bit her Mimi. Yep, we’ve had some trouble with her biting and then trying to figure out what kind of punishment will get through her thick skull. Karen even said she’d be willing to do it again, after recovering for a few weeks, haha.

Overall, it was a FANTASTIC trip to a beautiful place. More photos coming soon.


0 comments:

Powered by Blogger.

Flickr